Matthew 28:19-20

Jesus said, "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Sunday, February 22, 2009

The things I saw

It's probably sensible for me to let out my testimony now considering I've been away for a month or so now and you guys are probably overjoyed to hear from me right? ;) haha dun answer that. I've been thinking about what to share and although it is tempting to write many things like why I chose to join this mission trip or even the encounters that God allowed to follow after, but I think I would spare both you and me, and share one thing which struck me just as I started to write this testimonial.

Many of you will say, because of the sharing you’ve heard from us, that our activities were more focused on the children and youth in Philippines. Indeed it was such an honour that God has chosen me to be part of this – to have this lifetime opportunity to impress something in these children’s lives and them, on my life. However, the one thing that really called me to pay attention and learn was the adults I’ve met there. They just showed me a kind of love that is unconditional, a kind of faith that is solid, a kind of service so humble and a kind of worship so full of passion.


Whether it was our own host - Ate Lita who left her job at a Broadcasting Company even though she did not know what her next step would be, but just because God had called her to serve Him full time. Or a woman and her family from TayTay who willingly open her humble home to set a church for her neighbourhood and brought many to know Jesus. Or Pr. Larry from River of God Church who had his own home and three cars but sold it all off to fund the ministry God wanted. Or Ate Jemah from the same church, who chose to teach the children living in the squatters instead of getting a job that could support a 'wealthier' lifestyle. Or this teenage girl I’ve met, who gave up her accounting course in order to chase her passion for teaching and envision involving herself in the street kids ministry. Or Pr John who was not physically well but spontaneously stood in front of many students to share the word of God, and later prayed with his whole heart till tears in his eyes and his voice broke loose. I’ve honestly have never seen a person prayed so passionately about people he barely knew.


These people are changing the WORLD. Doing exactly what Jesus said in Mark 1:17, “Come follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.”

And it made me wanna do too no matter where I was~


Then I question myself and the way I live my life – am I not suppose to be the same? We live so comfortably in this country called Malaysia – with our families and our jobs/studies supporting us through the way that we forget many a times about how to be completely passionate for the Lord. It would be so easy for me to say “...but it’s so hard” or “I’m not in a place to do it”, but this just all reminds me of what Pr.Tan shared the last few Sundays before I left. Are we already like the chief priests who were stuck at mere knowledge? Of knowing the meaning of worship or the importance of worship, or even the many ways to worship but never really surrendered ourselves as living sacrifices willing to do the Lord’s will each day. Have we become like King Herod and chose self-preservation over the truth – that we have become so cautious of where God would fit into our “Life’s Big Plan” that we finally give up His way to preserve our own. Are we to continue to watch from the sidelines instead of the ones standing out in the crowd like how Jesus did in His time here on earth?


Because of what I’ve seen, I begin to pray for that passionate heart which burns with unconditional love, unmoving faith, and humility. The passion that will burn so brightly that it’ll melt the lead in our feet and light up the whole city. This experience did not just show me awesome people doing remarkable things but the Maker of all remarkable things in life who chose us to be His awesome instruments. If you ask me, that’s an honour no one else could ever afford to give and one I’m not planning to let down!


signing off,

Xinn.

No comments: